Friday, January 30, 2015

Shrink Plastic Adventures

Not long ago I was going through some of my craft supplies, attempting to organize them, attempting being a key word here. While I was rummaging through some old beading knick knacks I found some vaguely familiar plastic sheeting, I didn't entirely remember what it was until a month or so later. Shrink plastic! I remembered playing with the stuff years ago, admittedly I got a bit nostalgic...then I remembered why I hadn't touched it in years: drawing...not exactly a forte of mine. Still, I've been a bit burnt out on failed sewing projects, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The results, I'm proud to say where not too appalling.
Not overly appalling, but perhaps a bit tacky :) 
The real charm of shrink plastic is, if you make a few mistakes, (as I inevitably do) you can have the satisfaction of watching those mistakes curl up and shrink into obscurity, then pretend they don't exist. It's delightful. 
There are a few basic varieties of shrink plastic: clear, white, sanded or smooth. The sanded or frosted shrink plastic is best suited to colored pencils because the texture gives the pencils something to grip onto, and the finished pieces will be matte. The smooth or glossy plastic works best with markers and alcohol inks. The main difference between the clear and white shrink plastic, is that the white plastic is opaque, and the design can only be seen on one side, versus the clear plastic where you can see the design clearly on both sides. You can even achieve a lovely stained glass appearance when working with the clear glossy plastic. (an effect, I can't really demonstrate because I only have the frosted variety)
Now this isn't really much of a tutorial, more just an invitation to play with a new medium and experiment. I ended up making a few necklaces, if you'd like to make something similar you will need the following materials:
  • Shrink plastic
  • Hole punch
  • Scissors
  • Colored pencils 
  • Oven
  • Baking paper
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Chain 
  • Clasp
  • (Optional) Clear top coat or glaze 
Step 1. Draw whatever you like on the shrink plastic. If drawing isn't your forte you can sketch a few ideas on paper first, or look for images in coloring books and trace the ones you like best. I chose to use colored pencils on mine because it was what I had on hand but you can use all sorts of things to draw on your shrink plastic: permanent markers, stamps, alcohol inks, or Copic markers.      
I drew a few simple gems and traced a swallowtail butterfly from a coloring book. 
Step 2. Color in your designs. Keep in mind that the colors will become more intense when you shrink your images. 
I may have been a bit overzealous with the rainbow...in my defense, its been rather gray this january. 
Step 3. Carefully cut out your images, rounding any sharp corners, and punch any necessary holes. 
Step 4. Prepare to shrink your designs! My shrink plastic's instructions said to place the pieces colored side up on a baking paper lined sheet pan in a 325 degree F (or 163 C) oven, but your instructions may differ, so make sure to read them. Shrinking your charms is by far the most nerve wracking/exciting part of the process.     
First the plastic will curl. If it looks like it might be stuck to itself pull it out of the oven and carefully unstick the warm piece. You must do this while the plastic is warm and flexible, if it gets too cold it will become brittle and snap.  
If you like, you can seal your designs. (However, I would not recommend the spray I used-Kylon Acrylic Crystal Clear, it did not work very well and the pieces stunk for quite a while even after they had completely dried.)      

Step 5. You can really use these charms for anything you can think of. 
I chose to make a couple necklaces. Unfortunately, I didn't have any jump rings that matched my chain, instead I simply opened up the last link of my chain and used that to attach the charm to the necklace.
Lastly, a clasp, which luckily came with the chain I was using so I didn't have to go out and find one. 
Step 6. Enjoy your shrink plastic creations! 

2 comments:

  1. OMG your shrink plastic looks WAY better than the shrink plastics I've made! And also: are you actually coloring with wooden pens (not markers)?? whooooot

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG your shrink plastic looks WAY better than the shrink plastics I've made! And also: are you actually coloring with wooden pens (not markers)?? whooooot

    ReplyDelete

Amethyst Fairy Ensemble